Thursday, August 16, 2012

Two Rolling Release Distributions

PCLinuxOS .92
I am using Arch Linux and PCLinuxOS for past many years with PCLinuxOS dating back to V.92 and Arch Linux since early 2010 . I also used Sabayon Linux , ALT Linux , Chakra , Fuduntu and Unity Linux for different periods of times in past but never settled down with any of these for a daily usage due to many different reasons ranging from instability to facing many problems at different levels.

I prefer using a Rolling-Release Distribution and when I searched on google I found out that Arch Linux and PCLinuxOS are the commonly used Rolling-Release Distributions.

 In recent years LinuX Mint Debian Edition ( LMDE) , antiX and
siduction ( Debian based Rolling ReleaseDistributions ) have gained much popularity as well and I tried them at different stages but did not use them for much longer time periods . Worth mentioning here is semplice ( sid with openbox ) which I still like but have not tested it well enough as yet .

 Out of my perosnal experience I find both the Arch Linux and PCLinuxOS as one of the best Rolling-Release Distributions till now : they are stable, reliable,easy to configure and use and work on almost all common hardware.

I use them on daily basis and promote them to my friends , family members and to those who want to try a Linux Distribtution as a replacement for Windows. Of course I urge them to use PCLinuxOS at first and later switch to Arch Linux when they are more experienced and comfortable in handling routine Linux computing issues in command line.

No comments: